Monday, March 18, 2024

Berwyn loop

Peaks: Cadair Bronwen, Cadair Berwyn
Area: Berwyn
You don't go to the Berwyn in winter expecting dry feet, but I tried a few little variants on my standard 10 mile Berwyn route today in a futile attempt to minimise the bog. From Llandrillo I took the familiar steep road and tracks towards Moel Ty Uchaf. Here the sun came out, illuminating the stone circle. I took a steady approach in the spirit of the fallow year, basically fast walking. Higher up, instead of the direct route up Cadair Bronwen, I took the main bridleway contouring (and descending) above a side valley until a short climb gains Bwlch Maen Gwynedd. From here, I ascended the route I normally descend, up to Bronwen's summit (less than five minutes from the bwlch, running most of the way). The rest of the ridge was predictably boggy, hard work all the way to the trig on Cadair Berwyn. Great views, nice and clear now - the best day for a while. Because of all the recent rain, the descent was even boggier than normal - and it is normally very boggy indeed! So much so that I took a different route back to Llandrillo, lovely tracks (dry throughout) which emerged at Cadwst Fawr farmhouse in Cwm Pennant. Then along the Ceidiog back to Llandrillo.

No comments: