Thursday, March 21, 2024

Northern Carneddau

Peaks: Drosgl, Bera Mawr, Yr Aryg, Foel Fras, Llwytmor
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
The instinct is always to go clockwise around the northern Carneddau, but today I reversed it, partly because of a ferocious south-westerly. It went reasonably well but I was very tired, and the wind very strong. From the A55 I headed up towards Moel Wnion, intending to climb to the high traverse path thereby avoiding the unpleasant gorge that drops down from the Drosgl-Wnion col. Annoyingly, I didn't go high enough so had to negotiate the gorge anyway! So lots of wasted effort before I even got to the slog up Drosgl via the ancient Llwybr yr Aryg. The going gets easier here, with a short climb over Bera Mawr and Yr Aryg before I took an unwise shortcut towards Foel Fras: never a good idea. The wind raked the summit, knocking me over, and led to a pretty unpleasant haul across to Llwytmor, where it remained ferocious. I found an old shelter on Llwytmor Bach, which gave temporary respite, before a very steep, very direct descent down to the conifers back to Aber.

No comments: