Sunday, March 17, 2024

Hoylake BL

Race: Hoylake 7.5k (Borders League race 6)
Time/Position: 27.44 (53rd from 363 [2nd V50])
The final fixture marking a memorable league 'grand slam' (or triple crown?) season, with Buckley winning the overall team championship plus the veteran's league, and me winning the V50 category. There were several other factors today: Hoylake was where I ran my first ever border league race in 2006. And I also maintained my record of counting for the team overall in every fixture. Also, I think this was my 90th ever borders race, so getting quite close to the century. It is only my third season category win though, following the V45 prize in 15-16, and the V50 prize in 21-22. Having said all that, this was not a great race for me, certainly the least enjoyable of the season. I went off too fast, unusual for me, then really struggled on the incoming leg despite just a mild crosswind blowing along this exposed section of prom. From the lifeboat station, this new route headed east along the prom before taking the inland gravel path up to Leasowe lighthouse, reversing the summer seaside 5k route temporarily. Then it was back to the prom for the long run-in: the wind was light, but as I was tiring it was enough to really slow the pace from 3.25 to 3.45. I was passed by at 8-10 on this section, which was a shame on the last race of the season.

No comments: