Area: Millom, Lake District
Black Combe is a real outlier, much closer to the sea than the rest of the Lakes and far removed from the central, better known fells. After the parkrun, I had the 'no fuss' breakfast and a pot of tea at the excellent Byre cafe in Bootle, setting me up nicely for part two of the morning. I parked at Whitbeck and adopted a 'running approach' although the hill is steep initially as it takes a giant zigzag south to the high ground above the side valley of Moorgill Beck. Great views down to the Irish Sea, after which the main track is gained which allows for pretty quick progress, even though I was a bit tired. I got to the top in less than 45 minutes, with a bit of mist draping the summit. This cleared on the exhilerating run down to reveal superb views of the sea below: I felt better than I have for some time, pelting down feeling something of the 'old magic' which was pleasing after the parkrun. No heel pain either, which obviously helped. I took in the cairn on the top of the spur above Whicham for even better views before finishing the descent: 69 minutes up and down.
No comments:
Post a Comment