A self-indulgent journal of pointless adventures in mountain sports and all forms of distance running and racing.
Thursday, September 24, 2026
Hardknott Pass
Arguably the hardest road pass in Britain, this is a pretty daft thing to do on a bike, as it would be quicker for almost anybody to do it on foot. It rears up to a ludicrous 33% at the top hairpin so it is right on the limit of the possible in terms of staying upright. I have driven over it a couple of times over the years but thought I would take advantage of this year's cycling elevation to give it a go, although it is a tad intimidating. It has only been a couple of months since I was on the Galibier: which is at least ten times longer with five times the elevation gain. But the typical Alpine engineered climb stays at 8% or thereabouts, very different to this! After a long drive from home I parked up in Eskdale Green for a warm up along the valley through Boot and the hostel until the climb starts suddenly at a telephone box. It immediately rears up then gets even steeper over a cattle grid before veering left for the first mega-steep bit. I managed to do it, and then comes a bit of 'level' relief (actually just standard Alpine gradient) until the even steeper second section, which reaches its peak at the 33% leftward hairpin. After the first bit, I wasn't confident I could stay upright and stepped off the bike at the hairpin, the classic place to fail apparently. Very annoying and instead of carrying on by foot I cycled down (tricky in itself), toys thrown from pram! After an interlude doing Harter Fell, and therefore expending more energy, I decided it was unfinished business and went back (in afternoon sunshine) wearing normal shoes just resting on the pedals rather than clipped in! My logic was that, although I would lose power, if I failed I could at least get my foot down before toppling over. And this worked, rather surprisingly. I did have to stop briefly right at the bottom as two cars passed each other on the narrow road, but I stayed upright through the steepest bits and pulled through the grotesque crux hairpin with immense difficulty given my cruel gearing (my old triple would have been fine). Above the 33% section the road remains at least 20% as you crawl to the top - quite a mini-experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment