Saturday, September 26, 2026

Muncaster Castle parkrun

'Race': Muncaster Castle parkrun
Time/Position: 19.01 (1st from 114)
I was close to oversleeping in the van, so didn't even have a chance for coffee before heading from the hostel down towards the Cumbrian coast. This parkrun seemed the most interesting local option, and was by far the closest: it is entirely within the grounds of Muncaster Castle, a little reminiscent of Bodnant, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My legs were a little tired after the last few days but I had a pretty good run around the three lap course which is nicely undulating: a longish climb from the cafe up a narrow tarmac path to a fast descent and then gravel loop around the castle itself with views down to Black Combe which I planned to run up next. I found myself in first place after the first lap and then felt reasonably strong for the final two undulating laps. Down on last week's time, but this is definitely a slower course. My 14th first place finish at the 'timed run' (not a race!) in 11 different venues.

No comments: