Saturday, August 29, 2026

Gjendesheim hut-Glitterheim hut

Peaks: Vestre Hestlaegerhoe (1758m)
Area: Jotunheimen, Norway
After yesterday's aperitif, the main business began here in light rain and low cloud. This was always forecast to be the worst day of weather, to the point that I seriously considered changing my plans and just getting the boat to Gjendebu. In the event though, I stuck to 'plan a', as some kind of clearance seemed likely after midday. After a very nice breakfast, I started from Gjendesheim in light rain: the route starts to climb immediately up to the first pass and junction with the very popular Bessegen ridge. Some stunning views over Gjende and the cloud-draped walls of Besseggen, until I entered the clag at the pass. Even this was atmospheric though, with crags looming out of the mist on the left. The rain was fairly light, and there was very little wind (and it was quite mild) so my weather 'rules' complied. Quite suddenly, the outflow of Bessvatnet lake appeared just below the cloudbase. I crossed a little bridge and then the route gently descended through wild terrain until a spectacular clearance saw Nautgardstinden appear above the clouds. A wet descent led to the huge lake of Russvatnet, which would become quite familiar over the next few days. Another suspension bridge crossed the rapids of Saubue which led down a beautiful valley to the east, and two or three huts along the shoreline (Russvassbue). The route hugged the banks of the lake for a while before starting to climb up a shallow stream valley to a rickety monkey bridge over a small gorge. I had a snack here, and a tiny hint of sunshine peeked through the clouds as the ramparts of mighty Besshoe across the lake appeared through tendrils of mist. Above this, I made the biggest mistake of the trip, opting to follow the marked Blatjonn route to Glitterheim rather than the steeper Tjonnholae 'shortcut' which would have made for a more satisfying tour (because the marked route took in more of the terrain I would have to repeat on the return journey). It wasn't a big problem though, as this takes in some memorable and spectacular terrain. I contoured the hillside as the rain began again and eventually gained the vast bouldery plateau with huge views up to the eastern peaks and cwms of Surtningssue, a massive and complex massif. The plateau is an extraordinary place, high-up, awkward underfoot and very atmospheric. No doubt the standard route comes this way because there isn't that much elevation gain required to access the key pass, the Hestlaegerhoe. It is tiring through, because of the rocky terrain, and I suspect some people really struggle here (conversations at the hut suggested that was indeed the case). I felt OK, although I'd covered 20k or so, and decided to nip up to the side peak of Vestre Hestlaegerhoe which was just above, partly because the weather was clearing again. This was the lower of two rounded, minor summits either side of the key pass. The rock was mossy and untravelled but I got to the cairn easily and then descended back to the pass: it was, as ever, satisfying to take in a summit, even a minor one. The terrain continues rocky and awkward down Hestbekken to the stunning valley of the Veo river, the Glitterheim hut nestled at the base. Above, Glittertind itself was emerging from the mist, my target for tomorrow. To the left, at the top of this magnificent wild valley was Leirhoe, still glaciated. It was now brighter again, and in some ways I didn't want to reach the hut! It is highly circuitous to get to anyway, because of the amount of water and braided river channels throughout this valley (24k/1100m, just over five hours). A relaxing afternoon and evening followed before a stupendous meal of cured trout, reindeer heart sausage, carpaccio, and much more. It rained all night but I was cosily ensconced by then.

No comments: