Sunday, August 30, 2026

Glittertind

Peaks: Glittertind (2452m)
Area: Jotunheimen, Norway
Once upon a time, Glittertind competed with neighbouring Galdhoppigen for the title of the highest mountain in Scandinavia (and northern Europe). Now, however, it is decisively second, as the summit ice-cap has melted in recent years. It made an obvious objective from the Glitterheim hut, which lies below it, although the weather this morning was much worse than the forecast (unlike yesterday, which turned out better than the dreadful forecast suggested). It is a vast, bulky peak, and the cloud base was low although views over the atmospheric lake of Nedre Steinbuvann were superb, with mist draping the high mountain cwm that contains it. Glittertind is a fair old slog up bouldery moraine material, and the wet weather didn't help. It was never especially heavy though, and higher up the SE ridge becomes better defined with misty views over the northern and eastern glaciers which remain pretty extensive. I wasn't feeling as sharp as usual and it took two hours to get to the rather bleak summit, marked by a couple of wooden planks. An unusual experience followed, as I had to do quite a lot of admin and route planning (because I had a signal for the first time since Gjendesheim, there was nothing at the hut). This took a while, and I was pretty cold by the time I'd finished! After all the logistics, I stuck to 'plan a' again, and descended back to the Glitterheim hut rather than traversing to Spiterstulen. Also, because of the weather, I opted not to extend the route to Riggehoe, which was definitely the right decision as, if anything, the weather worsened as I descended. By the time I reached the lake it was raining fairly heavily, which was a shame as I really wanted to explore it and have lunch there. I did this anyway, but it was a bit soggy. Still a spectacular location though.

No comments: