Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pedol Peris

Race: Peris Horseshoe fell race (18m/8500ft/AL)
Peaks: Elidir Fawr, Y Garn, Glyder Fawr, Lliwedd, Snowdon, Moel Cynghorion
Time/Position: 4.17.02 (9th from 50)
As my third attempt at a sub-4 Pedol evaporated into an undignified dehydrated plod on Lliwedd, I was forced to reflect that I am currently good for three hours sustained effort: but not a minute more! This was all a bit disappointing, though, as I'd hoped my endurance would be a bit better after concentrating on slightly longer races than usual this summer. Peter and I cut it very fine indeed to register for the race in the morning: less than 20 minutes to go when I paid my entry fee at the Heights (this would have been a stressful rush for a 5k, let alone the hardest mountain race in Wales). A sprint through Llanberis to the field near Vivian Quarry and we were off up the inclines by a different route than usual. This took us further right towards the crags before heading up the tracks to gain the open hill on Elidir Fach. A welcome breeze took the edge of what was shaping up to be a hot day. I went direct for Elidir Fawr and gained the summit bang on 48 minutes, exactly the same as last year. I was determined to stick to sub-4 schedule, but made sure I enjoyed every step of the next section - for me the highlight of the race, contouring round Foel Goch to the slog up Y Garn. Great views over the Carneddau, perfect conditions, all looking good. Still felt pretty fresh for the next climb up Glyder Fawr, but then took a less than ideal line too far left down to Pen y Pass. It is notoriously hard to find the best line down here, but it wasn't a disaster as I reached the Pass in 1.55. I have a vivid memory of chronic dehydration on my first Pedol Peris some years ago, so took a litre on board as I jogged up the Miners Track towards Lliwedd. It didn't work, however, and I started to suffer quite early in the climb. My only gel didn't help and I began to slip away from the group in front. I perked up very briefly on the Lliwedd ridge, great views over the crags to Snowdon, and momentarily thought I might be able to catch the group in front. This was an illusion, however, and I really suffered over Lliwedd and hobbled down to Bwlch y Saethau, falling further behind. I took the scrambling line direct up the ridge to Snowdon, the opportunity to use the arms always welcome, before enjoying the usual surreal experience of emerging into the crowds on a chilly and misty Snowdon. Difficult to dodge the people, so I jumped onto the railway track and pelted down, relieved to turn off on the Snowdon Ranger path. Any revival proved short-lived, however, and I soon recommenced hobbling down to the col below Cynghorion. The sting in the tail up Cynghorion doesn't last too long, but it was long enough today - and my snail's pace continued, losing another place and loads of time, on the punishing descent down to Maesgwm and long run back to the finish at the Victoria hotel. Shame I felt so rough, but more positively the Pedol always provides a memorably hard race. We recovered with a pint and soup at the Heights.

No comments: