Sunday, October 12, 2014

Flintshire 10k

Race: Flintshire 10k
Time/Position: 37.25 (3rd from 354)
Although my time was a little slower than last year, this was my first road race since April and as such quite an enjoyable outing. It's an ideal transition from a summer racing in the hills, as it feels more like a fell race than a road race, with one giant hill taking up much of the first 5k, but I still suffered from lack of leg speed as soon as it flattened out (having only resumed interval training last week). This is inevitable at this time of the year: there's a big difference between a long fell race and a road 10k! A small group of us set off at the front of the race in beautiful autumn sunshine, quite hot. Not too many club runners, possibly because it is a tough course (with 800ft of climbing) that guarantees a very slow time! As we approached the hill, I started to get a bit closer to Darren Blazier in second place - and we had a good battle all the way up, me going ahead on the steep sections, him pulling past as it levelled out. At the top of the hill near Maeshafn, he pulled past decisively and I had no answer to his pace as the road started to descend to Nercwys. Went through 5k in 20.40 or so - this race ensures a major negative split. We were well ahead of the rest of the field, over a minute separated me and the runner in 4th, so I just concentrated on getting close to last year's time on the very fast final 5k (16.45?).

No comments: