Sunday, February 21, 2016

Rhyl 10

Race: Rhyl 10 mile (Welsh Championships)
Time/Position: 1.02.18 (15th from 550 [1st V45])
It was clear from early morning that this race was going to be badly affected by the 45mph westerly gusts sweeping across North Wales. An easy first half was inevitably going to be followed by a monumental battle heading back to Rhyl into the teeth of the gale: continually exposed along the seaside path and therefore relentless. I was four minutes down on my PB for the distance, but that felt fine in the circumstances. The race is good, well organised, and was selected for the Welsh 10 mile championships this year. I felt I had a decent combination of speed and endurance at the moment, and quite like the distance although I haven't done many 10 milers over the years - just six or seven races maybe. The first five miles - along the seafront, past the Nova centre then a loop around the edge of Prestatyn, flowed as easily as expected with the tailwind. Went through five miles in 28 mins dead, then started to pick up a few places. It was obviously crucial to save some strength for the return, and I felt OK as the full force of the wind hit at the Nova Centre. Tactics were needed! So I made a special effort to catch two runners in front, a draining effort, but as I'd hoped we started to work a bit as a mini-peloton into the wind. There really is no hiding place on this stretch of coastline, so although I've done many fell races in far windier conditions than this, it is particularly draining and time sapping on a road race. The other two pulled away with 200m to go: as usual I was only able to keep to my usual plodding pace, but I just managed to stay ahead of faster finishing runners in my category to finish first V45 in the race and Welsh championships.

No comments: