Saturday, November 26, 2016

Bangor XC

Race: Bangor XC (North Wales Cross Country League, race 3)
Time/Position: 35.50 (32nd from 152 [4th V45])
A long break from racing, over a month since the Flintshire 10k. Very little running in South Africa, and a heavy cold on returning, so my struggles in the two intervals sessions I've managed since recovering were hardly surprising. This was, therefore, merely a damage limitation exercise! A perfect winter day, with a hard frost and snow on the Carneddau. Felt I should have been up on those hills, and that feeling intensified as I began to struggle on the second lap. I last did the Bangor course 10 years ago, and it has changed since then: possibly a tad shorter, but more intense, with a sharp climb on all four laps. The course was muddy, slippery and demanding today despite the weather. I finished way down the field, which was a shame as I missed the second race in the league last month, but at least I didn't fall apart completely as I had half expected.

No comments: