Sunday, September 09, 2018

D'Aguilar loop, Brisbane

Not really a run, as this was too good to hurry, and more to the point I was busy familiarising myself with an entirely unfamiliar avifauna. I was staying in Woolowin, my second night in Brisbane (after an earlier layover on the outbound leg), and took a combination of train and bus out towards 'The Gap'. From here, a jog uphill gains the edge of D'Aguilar national park. Obviously, this was a mouth-watering prospect, but I'm afraid it will have to wait until we are in a position to visit Australia properly! Instead, I contented myself with the Walkabout Creek visitor centre and a walk round the lovely Araucaria Track. This skirts the Enoggera reservoir for a while and takes a big loop through hoop pine and eucalyptus forest. Dozens of bird species - superb fairy wren, bell bird, brush turkey, comb crested jacana and many, many more. In addition, two huge lace monitors (goanna - giant 6ft lizards), water dragons and short-necked turtles.

No comments: