Saturday, January 09, 2021

Clwydian run and ride

A period of stunning weather, and a new lockdown without end. All very frustrating, but with no chance of getting to Snowdonia the Clwydians was the best option today - high pressure after heavy snowfall, rare enough to warrant a special effort. So I cycled to Mold from the front door, all within the rules, and left the bike at the Buckley roundabout. From here, a weaving route gains the steep road up to the Owain Glyndwr, the quickest way into the hills from Mold. The conditions were enchanting, and got better with the height gained - snow draped trees, several inches blanketing the roads. The sky was deep blue, totally cloudless, with no wind as I ploughed up Moel Findeg. Some of the best Clwydian views I've ever had, so I continued through Maeshafn down to Llanferres and up Moel Famau from the bottom car park. With road access banned due to the lockdown, and conditions acting as a further deterrent, I had the route up Moel Famau to myself in the most stunning conditions - very thick snow, all trees draped, deep drifts higher up, and nobody at all at the summit. Another lockdown memory that will stay with me: a unique, magical set of circumstances, with the low sun dropping slowly over a crystal white Berwyn. I have been up Moel Famau at least a thousand times but can not recall a better view. My descent took me down to Pantymwyn, then down the legendary (and very icy) weary willy into Mold town centre. The snow disappeared as I dropped lower and lower on my bike ride home. 

No comments: