Saturday, February 10, 2024

Atalaya

Peaks: Atalaya East
Area: Yaiza, Lanzarote
I had already taken the broad runnable track from the open valley above Yaiza two days ago but this morning planned to run to the top of Atalaya and back. It's the highest summit in this part of Lanzarote but is disfigured by numerous masts. Sadly, on emerging from our guesthouse I found a drizzly morning with clag draped around all the tops: I could have been in Llanberis. I should have grabbed some more kit but instead headed up the broad track in a t-shirt hoping for a clearance. At the top of the track I took the northerly continuation along the broad ridge that is so obvious from Yaiza. This was outstanding: wonderfully runnable on a hard-packed volcanic surface. The weather was by far the worst of our short trip however, and I soon entered the mist. It was a little breezy and I was getting quite wet. Not cold, of course, but it doesn't need to be very cold in these circumstances. I skirted a side peak then ploughed up to the north-eastern top. This was broad and featureless, the characteristic black gravel of the island. I called it a day and plummeted back down the same way to Yaiza, emerging from the mist near the top of the track. After breakfast, we took the choppy ferry ride to Correlejo in Fuerteventura, where Kate and I undertook a 10k walk to the top of another miniature extinct volcano, Bayuyo, which gave excellent views of northern Fuerteventura (which I'd never visited before) and back across the Atlantic channel of La Bocayna to Playa Blanca.

No comments: