Monday, January 29, 2007

Tal y Fan run from Conwy, Welshpool-Clun OD run

We are spending weekends in Conwy at the moment, so I took the opportunity to run from the house (which is within the walls) to the top of Tal y Fan yesterday. A wonderful run, I'd always thought it would be too tough but in fact it went comfortably in one hour from kitchen to summit - where gale force winds and poor visibility made me feel a bit vulnerable without any warm clothing. Got back to the house from the top, via Llangelynnin church and Hendre, in 45 minutes. The ultimate challenge might be Foel Fras from the house? After work on Friday, I headed for Ogwen with snow climbing gear - but rain was falling and snow was melting, so I just went for a quick run up Carnedd y Filiast, abandoning near the top in slush and driving rain (me in fell shoes). Then ran along the cycle path to Bethesda. Feeling much fitter now, at last. This was proved, I hope, when I ran/walked a 20 mile section of the Offa's Dyke path on the 23rd, just two days after the half marathon. Lovely winter sunshine as I ran from Buttington near Welshpool to Brompton crossroads in around 2 hours, then via the atmospheric Kerry Ridgeway via isolated valleys - an ancient landscape, on the dyke itself - to Newcastle on Clun.

No comments: