Monday, March 03, 2008

Foel Goch circuit, Moel Arthur, Treuddyn run

After bruising my ankle playing football last week, I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to get my long run in on Saturday (crucially, my last before the next crop of races). But I managed a rewarding 19-20 miler from HK to Hope, then over the shoulder of Waun y Llyn to Pontybodkin, then steeply up to Treuddyn (really this is just one long hill, into the teeth of a gale today!). Then south on Ffordd y Blaenau to Cae Hic, before enjoying the long descent to Llanfynydd - entirely new ground for me. Then up to the summit of Waun y Llyn and back to HK. A real contrast with recent long flat runs to Chester - windy but sunny, very hilly and rewarding. Felt good throughout. Next day went up Moel Arthur with Eve (Morgan refused to join us) - my first time up Arthur for many years, Eve's small legs coped well with the steep climb. Followed up with a splendid circuit of the 'Foel Goch hills' northeast of Bala. Snow showers forecast, but just the tiniest dusting on the tops, the mildest winter I've ever known. Headed up Cwm Da from Pandy in sunshine, then broke off for the steep climb up the subsidiary hill of Orddu - top reached in 90 mins from my house. The round pleasantly to the windy summit of Foel Goch (great views of snow showers in central Eryri, Aran and Arening). Then a run east to Garnedd Fawr, which feels remote, before finally jogging up Moel Emoel, a shapely summit, one of the best small hills in Snowdonia - great views over the Bala peaks. Then back via Nant Cefn Coch in around 2.5 hrs.

No comments: