Sunday, October 18, 2009

Christleton border league

Race: Christleton '10k' (border league race 1)
Time/Position: 34:57 (35/322)

Considering my last road race was well over five months ago, I was reasonably pleased with this performance, which was well over a minute faster than my time on the same course last year. The starting pace was inevitably a bit of a shock to the system after months of long races in the hills, so I consciously relaxed for 3k or so until I could adapt to the speed. Went through 5k in 17:54, then started to push the pace a bit and felt pleasingly comfortable on the short off-road section down the path towards the final hill. Passed at least 10 runners, maybe more, on the hills in the last 4k - although as usual my lack of a sprint finish meant that three of those were able to overtake me in the last 200m across the field. Sadly, the route was definitely not a full 10k! That said, I think I would have been close to sub 36m if it had been.

No comments: