Sunday, October 21, 2012

Caernarfon Border League

Race: Caernarfon 10k (Border League race 1) 
Time/Position: 36:40 (18th from 256 [4th V40])
A mystifying 40 seconds slower than the Welsh Championship race round the same course six weeks ago, which was itself my slowest 10k for three years. No excuses either, because unlike many of the other runners I didn't do the cross-country race at Colwyn Bay yesterday. Moreover, I've had a few formal intervals sessions in recent weeks, whereas I was just coming off a summer in the hills at the Championships: so it's all rather puzzling, almost 2.5 minutes slower than my best 10k time this year. I started off a little too fast today, perhaps, going through 5k in 17:26, unlike the Champs when was a lot more conservative. I pushed the first hill a bit today, and was in 11th place at this point. But I began to struggle at 6k, losing time and places - this got worse on the last climb at 8k and several runners charged past.

No comments: