Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Singapore run

A misguided plan to take the MRT out to the Botanic Gardens, then run back to my hotel whilst doing a spot of birdwatching. After a day at a conference, I still had my work shirt on, so was already looking eccentric in formal shirt, shorts and running shoes: carrying a large rucsac completed the look. On emerging from the station, a low rumble of thunder signalled the start of another tropical storm. Terrible timing, as the day had been dry up to that point. So the views of racket-tailed drongo, whistling duck, kingfishers et al were swiftly curtailed. I sprinted through the beautiful Botanic Gardens, pausing occasionally to admire the huge palms, tembusu and mahogany trees, but generally just keeping moving through the heavy rain. I emerged at the Tanglin gate and continued the run, by now soaked to the skin, trying to find Orchard Road. Once there, I realised it really was the Singapore equivalent of Oxford Street, and must have made an arresting sight: completely soaked with rain water and sweat, running fast, wearing mismatched clothes. Eventually the embarrassment became acute so I made a detour down side roads, eventually getting lost and resorting to the MRT dripping water over the immaculate floors and attracting the attention of the security staff.

No comments: