Saturday, November 09, 2013

Ras Rhobell Fawr

Race: Rhobell Fawr fell race (10.3k/600m/AM)
Time/Position: 60:45 (3rd from 43 [1st V40])
On a soft Autumn day the scenery around Dolgellau is exquisite, so this was an excellent day trip topped off with a superb leg-loosening jog around the Precipice Walk. Sadly, I didn't really get going on the race itself until the final descent down the tracks and paths from Bwlch Goriwared, but luckily this part of the descent favoured a bit of road speed so I was able to hold off the challenge from a few young lads to hold onto third position. It's a great race: up muddy forest tracks above the strangely named Afon Babi to gain the open hillside at the Bwlch. I moved into third position quite soon, but didn't feel good on the main 1500ft climb: worse, I took some awful lines after the bog of Ffynnon Sion - heading away from the wall too early, meaning I went up the western forepeak and several other steep knolls unnecessarily. A young lad passed me near the cairn, but I regained third as I tried to take the best line down to the right: I lost my nerve, though, unsure of the route so retreated to the 'handrail' of the wall, taking more inefficient lines back down to the bwlch. I was so slow that three younger runners were just behind at Bwlch Goriwared, but I was just able to hold them off as I finally sprang into some kind of life for this final fast section back to Llanfachreth. Very wet and muddy underfoot! I ended up third, and first Veteran. After soup and prizes in the village hall, Adair and I set off for a superbly enjoyable warm-down around the famous Precipice Walk, which I last did with Kate after Ras y Gader some years ago. A violent hailstorm cleared as we started off, and the autumnal colours under dark skies gave fabulous, ever-changing views back up to Rhobell Fawr, then over Coed y Brenin, then Mawddach and Cader Idris.

No comments: