Sunday, November 03, 2013

Abergele 5m

Race: Abergele 5m (North Wales Championships)
Time/Position: 28.57 (6th from 187 [3rd V40])
Glancing at my watch with 400m to go, I thought I was on for a decent time here - at the very least a PB for the course. But, weirdly, I ended up 6 seconds slower than my 2011 and 2012 times and a minute down on my 5m PB. There is something rather strange about this course, which is notoriously tough with one long, gradual hill for the first two miles and one short, very sharp climb at the three mile point. The strange part is that I always end up with virtually the same time, whether I feel good or bad during the race. It's an excellent, and well organised event though, which always incorporates the North Wales championships and, as such, tends to attract a strong and competitive field especially among the Veterans. Could only manage bronze today, to add to last year's silver and 2011's gold in the champs - but, more positively, 6th is my best ever overall position at this race. There was a bit of a headwind at times today, which may account for the lost seconds.

No comments: