Sunday, January 19, 2014

Four Villages Half Marathon

Race: Four Villages (Helsby) Half Marathon
Time/Position: 1.18.47 (39th from 1820)
This was a PB course for me back in 2006, then again in 2007. But my memories of the event have always been rather spoiled by the fact I contracted pneumonia after racing here in freezing fog in 2007: hence the delayed return. Shame, because it's a great event and one of the few remaining uncommercial half marathons in the region. As such, it attracts a strong field: very competitive at the top end, and there are always small, well-paced groups to work with. Conditions were perfect: 6C, light breezes, sunshine. Sadly, I didn't have the legs to take full advantage. I started off conservatively, exact 6m/mile pace, then picked it up a bit before starting to tire unexpectedly at the 8m point. After a gel, I got my second wind and really enjoyed the long gentle climb through Alvanley before the fast, largely downhill finish. One minute outside my PB, so there is a chance I could record a PB at the flatter, faster Wrexham course next month.

No comments: