Sunday, February 16, 2014

Wrexham half marathon

Race: Wrexham 'half marathon' (14m)
Time/Position: 1.23.16/1.18.59 (26th from 450) 
Another cock-up at the Wrexham half, bringing back memories of two years ago when a misplaced sign saw the first 40 runners go wrong at the 9m point. This time, the problems occurred immediately and can't really be blamed on a narrow-minded farmer. We went left after a few hundred metres, then the shouts went out and the entire field performed a giant angry U-Turn. We were then behind the tail-enders, all hopes of a PB gone. I spent the next mile trying to weave through hundreds of runners and get some clear road in front of me, but realised we'd all gone wrong again when I went through the first mile in 9 minutes! No idea who was to blame, possibly nobody, but it was all rather vexing as I had plans for sub 77m and had trained specifically for this. The rest of the race was a non-event: I just concentrated on keeping a decent 6 min/mile pace churning over. We ended up doing just short of 14 miles, and worked out half marathon time via other people's GPS results (just sub 1.19 in my case, so well off target anyway).

No comments: