Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ras Foel Fras

Race: Foel Fras fell race (12m/3200ft)
Time/Position: 1.43 (3rd from 32)
Although done with the best of intentions, it seemed a shame that this race was 'shortened' to an out-and-back climb up Foel Fras. If races are going to be changed just because of a bit of mist, it changes the nature of the activity. Perhaps 'trip hazards' will be marked soon? My guess is that the organisers still have memories of this race in 2009 when a brief spell of bad weather on Garnedd Uchaf sent runners off in all directions with a few hypothermia cases. This was my fifth time at the race, so it was actually quite an interesting change to blast straight up and down Foel Fras from Aber - in terms of distance it was about the same as the normal course, but I was looking forward to the navigation challenge of the main event. After the tarmac, I found myself in 2nd place as a runner from Dark Peak went past to win the race quite comfortably. By the time we entered the persistent drizzle and thick mist on the top of Drum, I'd slipped to third, and here I stayed after slowing for the next climb through the clag to Foel Fras. A huge descent after the long climb, great fun, completely alone as I was eight minutes ahead of the next runner (although several went wrong on the descent, following the fence down to Bwlch y Ddaefaen). Tellingly, perhaps, my time wasn't much quicker than my PB for the normal course.

No comments: