Sunday, December 07, 2014

Tattenhall border league

Race: Tattenhall '10k' (Border League race 2)
Time/Position: 35.18 (17th from 314 [2nd V40])
After turning my ankle badly at the Dash in the Dark on Friday, the frozen peas had worked their magic and I felt OK to start one of my favourite Border League courses, a nice lumpy 10k into the Peckforton Hills. Clearly, there's a weakness in the left ankle after I went over on it at Rhobell Fawr last month: but keeping it nice and straight on a road race is comfortable (slippery tree stumps and bare rock, not so much). A stiff wind seemed likely to offer some resistance for the long and very familiar 'false flat' that leads back to the finish in Tattenhall. So I tried to save something. This worked initially, after going reasonably steadily up the steep hill I passed three or four runners: but, as usual, I was caught out at the end by my lack of finishing kick. Two of those I'd passed surged to the finish before me. Slightly down on last year's time, but not a bad performance in the circumstances. Buckley doing well this year: first veteran team and second in the first division at present.

No comments: