Sunday, April 12, 2015

Yufu mountain run

An attempt to run up Mount Yufu from the delightful Kyushu hot springs resort of Yufuin during a week-long visit to Japan that began on the southernmost island. The conventional way up the peak involves a bus journey up to a higher launch point, but the mountain is such a handsome objective from the town's main street that I tried to go direct from the station. The plan was to get up and down the twin-headed summit before my return train. This was far too ambitious, and I didn't make the top in time, but I had a great run nevertheless. I jogged through the town and out towards the open countryside and the hill itself, finding the path with surprising ease. It was clearly not the standard way up Yufu, as I was alone and the path was narrow and even a tad overgrown in places. All the signs were in Japanese but the route was clearly heading up in a direct route for the peak. I passed a shinto shrine temple in atmospheric woodland after a few hundred metres. From this point the path past a steeper sided valley then headed up directly for a while before reverting to steep zig zags: all good, as I gained height very rapidly. The sun began to peek through the clouds and unfamiliar bird song filled the air: these things make me happy. After passing through a section of fallen trees, the path emerged at some wooden signs and a great view of Yufu directly in front. It was obvious from this point that I wouldn't make it in time. Still, I was on a broad plateau/sub-peak and was enjoying myself. Some cloud passed over the summit and the wind picked up. The weather was on the change. I scampered back down to the town and within 45 minutes it was raining steadily and the entire mountain was hidden behind dark clouds. Another lovely train journey back to Fukuoka completed the day: past fast-flowing rivers, densely wooded hills and waterfalls. Exactly what I expected rural Kyushu to be like.

1 comment:

zephr said...

Yukudake is a great double headed peak... shame you didn't get up both! Always good to hear of peoples adventures in Kyushu - and great to hear that rural Japan is kind of what you expected!