Saturday, January 28, 2017

Rhug Cross Country

Race: North Wales XC Championships, Rhug, Corwen (6.2m)
Time/Position: 38.34 (14th from 55 [1st V45])
Conditions were relatively benign for the championships this year, with icy rain falling before the start but the ground reasonably firm for most of the route. This may be some explanation for the fact that my time was a couple of minutes quicker than my three or four previous races at Rhug (or maybe the course had been tweeked slightly). Although this was my worst ever finishing position at the cross country championships, it was also my first category win. It was quite a fast start, and my inability to handle changes of pace saw me starting to struggle even earlier than is usual. By the last lap, I just tried to hang on as Eric passed me. Still my favourite XC course: great location for the race and the prize giving. Buckley won the team prize overall again, and the veteran's team prize.

No comments: