Saturday, January 21, 2017

Twin Piers 10k

Race: Twin Piers 10k (Llandudno to Colwyn Bay)
Time/Position: 37.33 (6th from 420 [1st V45])
Having done this event many times over the years, with the coastal wind blowing from a variety of directions, it was pretty obvious that times would be adversely affected as we arrived in Llandudno to find a bitterly cold, and surprisingly strong, easterly wind. On this point-to-point race (my favourite local road race) this means a headwind the entire way, so a slow start was inevitable. A large group formed at the front, at least 10 runners, before it began to break up as we climbed over the Little Orme. This sharp climb does at least give some shelter from the wind. A route change then saw us doing two laps of the estate in Penrhyn Bay before reacquaintance with the headwind as we rejoined the coast down to Rhos on Sea. I managed to establish myself in fifth place, then pulled away from the group behind, until a young lad sped past with 500 metres to go. A very slow time, two minutes down on my expected finish, and well over three minutes down on my best time for this course (also my PB) recorded in 2011. I then enacted part two of the plan, running down the beach to immerse myself in the Irish Sea (up to thigh level) by way of impromptu ice bath recovery before tomorrow's Border League race.

No comments: