Sunday, November 05, 2017

Abergele 5

Race: Abergele 5 mile (North Wales Championships)
Time/Position: 29.19 (17th from 184 [1st V45])
My slowest ever time at the Abergele 5, and this despite the fact that the once hilly course has now changed to a fast, flat dash along the seafront. Possibly my worst finishing position too, so I was rather lucky to win my age category in both the open race and the championship today. That said, conditions were not great, with strong westerly winds rendering the outward two miles quite demanding and a small tidal flood blocking the path further on. I got in with an equally matched group of runners, the third such group on the road, and this gave us some shelter before it broke up on the return leg. This new championship route is the same as the long established border league fixture, which I have also done many times: I remember running 28.00 on the course, or a version of it, so this was a lot slower.

No comments: