Friday, November 10, 2017

Dash in the dark

Race: Dash in the dark, Race 1 (6.5k/750ft)
Time/Position: 27.29 (7th from 134)
I somehow contrived to miss all of last year's headtorch races, so it was great to be able to reacquaint myself with this very enjoyable event tonight. I have done it a lot over the years, most often in its earlier incarnation when I can remember just 25 people turning up one grim winter night. It's very different now, and a big crowd of runners set off from Llandegla in good conditions: cool and dry, with rain forecast to arrive later. A quick start at the front, and I soon got in a group of four, trying to keep with Steve's rapid early pace. Our little group had a grand little battle, and we were neck and neck as we emerged at the lakeside path which gives the only opportunity for a flat blast. A very steep descent through the woods follows, on which it is virtually impossible to stay upright, even with decent studs. My new head torch and shoes paid dividends (although I didn't stay upright, sliding twice) and I was able to pull away a bit on the final climb to the centre. Great fun, as always.

No comments: