Sunday, January 07, 2018

Glyderau mountain morning

Peaks: Glyder Fawr, Y Garn
Area: Glyderau, Eryri
A bitter easterly wind was forecast, so I felt that Cwm Cneifion would offer the best chance of shelter: every inch of it familiar territory. I was on my own, so scampered along the shores of Idwal at first light before ploughing up the hillside and traversing into East Wall Gully (I was a bit tired after yesterday's race and wanted to use my arms). This gives good scrambling, awkward verglas in many places today, until I emerged at the mouth of Cwm Cneifion which is always one of the best snow-holding areas in Snowdonia. Instant snow cover, although it was mainly fresh powder I gambled on some older consolidated strips being present on the headwall. The upper cwm was, as I'd hoped, relatively sheltered although blasts from time to time hinted at the ferocity above and sent clouds of spindrift down from the headwall. I made my way towards the top right of the cwm, put my kahtoolas over my running shoes and picked an enjoyable line up the gully, which always has a pleasant mild mountaineering flavour. At the top, spectacular views as the morning mist parted from the pillar and away to the west. A bitter easterly, however, which made running difficult (and I was slightly tired after yesterday's race). The windchill got even more intense as I descended from Y Garn (having found some shelter at the summit cairn). In 30 years in Snowdonia, I have rarely experienced anything quite as intense: a very strong easterly, painful windchill, difficult initially to get down the top section of Banana Ridge. Wonderful views, however, and good running lower down as the circulation began to return. Home in time for lunch.

No comments: