Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Carneddau run

Peaks: Drum, Foel Fras, Carnedd Gwenllian, Foel Grach, Carnedd Llewellyn, Yr Elen, Moel Faban
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
The cloudless, perfect conditions of recent weeks gave way to dull, misty and more familiar weather as I set off from Aber this morning. Up the Foel Fras race route initially, always a long climb, but every inch of it is familiar and I was glad of the cooler weather. The cloud base flirted with the top of Foel Fras but never quite covered the ridge as I continued along it, feeling better as the morning went on and starting to pick up the pace. I reached the top of Carnedd Llewellyn in 90 minutes, then pelted along to Yr Elen, always one of my favourite Eryri summits. From here, I continued down then cut across to finally get to a water source at the bottom of Cwm Llafur. From here, the terrain was less familiar. I crossed to the track on Gyrn Wigiau, then ploughed across the open moor just above Bethesda to the small col below Moel Faban. From here, perfect runnable tracks contour the Moel Wnion to eventually rejoin the end of the old Foel Fras race route back to Aber. Less than four hours, an excellent circuit.

No comments: