Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Snowdon run

Peaks: Yr Wyddfa, Moel Cynghorion
Area: Snowdon, Eryri
It's been a while since I ran the tourist path from Llanberis, and seven years since I last did the Snowdon race (I 'retired' after running 1.22 in 2011, which I felt was the quickest I would ever do it). After dropping Kate off at work I parked at the far end of Padarn and ran through the town. Even though the weather was claggy and the hour early, the usual crowds dotted the path in a virtually continuous line. A squally shower hit below Hebron, and then cold mist and strong wind marked the rest of the climb. I ran down the same way until finding the crowds unbearable above Llyn du'r Arddu. To avoid them, I ran across the lip of the cwm, great views of both buttresses (I was last here for Longland's Route four years ago), then across steep grass to the Ranger path to join the Pedol Peris route up Moel Cynghorion where the weather finally began to clear. Brilliant running down the ridge to the col at the top of Maesgwm, leaving the perfect long run back to Llanberis along the Maesgwm path.

No comments: