Sunday, November 11, 2018

Upton border league

Race: Chester 'Spring' 5m (Border League race 2)
Time/Position: 31.14 (86th from 441)
The unwelcome milestones continue to fall. This was my slowest five mile race in 20 years of running, and my worst league position since around 2006. My flight from West Africa landed in Manchester at midnight, and I thought that if I woke in time I would do this - which takes the Spring 5 course on a route I know very well indeed. In fact, I calculate I have done it over 100 times as it was my regular lunchtime run when I worked at Kingsway. As a race, I have also done it many times but have never found it particularly quick, especially when it gets a bit muddy: but I didn't expect to be quite this slow, despite the circumstances and relaxed approach. No speedwork all year, the flight, and the continuing after effects of the 50 miler are my only excuses: feeble, given that everybody else had raced yesterday and Friday!

No comments: