Saturday, May 25, 2019

Ras y Moelwyn

Race: Moelwyn fell race (10m+/3200ft/AM)
Peaks: Moelwyn Mawr, Craigysgafn, Moelwyn Bach, Moel yr Hydd
Time/Position: 1.50.50 (88th from 280)
I was amazed to discover that it has been a decade since I last did this excellent race. I can only think that is because it tends to clash with London. This year, however, it was run a month later as a British championship race, and as such the sense of occasion and place in this most distinctive and interesting of towns was ramped up a bit. I have a bit of a connection with Blaenau, so really enjoyed the special start from Rawson Square, in front of Ty Gorsaf in the middle of town with all the peaks just emerging from the clag and visible from the start: a brilliant touch. Then came a fast start through the streets of Blaenau, before dropping down to the rugby club and making our way onto the open hill over the railway. Then comes a long but gradual climb up to Cwm Orthin, which I remembered well from last time, passing below the crags of Tan y Grisiau, a favourite climbing area for me. I kept a steady pace going, albeit slow given current training regime, until the final steep climb up the northern ridge of Moelwyn Mawr. The mist was down, and it was quite cold and clammy on the summit. Even with 300 runners, the route over Craigysgafn was not all that obvious in terms of the quickest line - and I certainly didn't get it. The climb up Moelwyn Bach is quick, however. In the mist, I had no memory of the onward route: I plunged leftwards down the gully initially, slightly unsure, then prevaricated with a poor onward route, too far right initially, then too far left, before emerging from the mist above Llyn Stwlan, where the checkpoint was. The race used to head across the dam and up Moel yr Hydd, but today went backwards, up the side of Moelwyn Bach again, to join a superb contouring slate path to the col (others took a better line further right). Given current distance, I found the final climb up Moel yr Hydd fairly comfortable, and the mist then cleared for the tricky descent down the broad boggy and rocky gully back to Cwm Orthin before a long and weaving finish with small extra climbs. I finished at the rugby club 15 minutes down on my 2009 time, although a fair portion of this must be due to the extended route - at least that's what I'm telling myself!

No comments: