Sunday, June 09, 2019

Welsh Castles Relay

Race: Welsh Castles Relay, Stage 15 Epynt-Brecon (12.8m)
Time/Position: 1.19.51 (13th from 64)
Given my current training regime, this was perhaps the worst possible leg for me - mainly downhill, all on tarmac. That said, my run at the Beast on Wednesday had come as a surprise and gave some cause for optimism - although ultimately I have done nothing on road for months, and certainly not a half-marathon. I was reliant on the muscle memory from 40+ half marathons in the past, and just kept a pace ticking over that I knew I could sustain. I requested a different leg from last year, in my endless search for novelty, and really enjoyed the drive down and car bivouac. I arrived at the Epynt 'visitor centre' (a derelict house) several hours before the stage, and relaxed in its very tranquil atmosphere (the middle of nowhere, on the edge of the Sennybridge military land). Then the castles charabanc starts to come through - what the event is all about - and the stage begins. An initial climb leads to inspiring views of the Beacons, then a long downhill section through Upper Chapel, before it levels off for undulations through Lower Chapel and Llandefaelog Fach. A detour west up a steep hill to Cradoc was tough but allowed me to gain a couple more places as quick starters began to suffer. Some more hills on this detour section before a downhill finish right next to the river in Brecon. I finished first from the 10 veteran teams in the race (this is not the same as being first veteran!): as with last year, it was nice to be involved and to help the team. We finished a very creditable second Vet team overall, behind Les Croupiers, and I sampled some of the atmosphere on the Sunday, driving down to Cardiff for the finish, and staying overnight.

No comments: