Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Nos Galan

Race: Nos Galan elite male race (5k)
Time/Position: 17.45 (57 from 149 [2nd V45])
A wonderful celebration of the eighteenth century athlete Guto Nyth Bran, who was so fast 'he could catch a bird in flight'. Dad and I have talked about going down to this unique race for years, so it was very nice to finally get to Mountain Ash this New Year's Eve. It's a long way to go for a 5k but it was absolutely worth it - a brilliant atmosphere quite unlike any of the other 530+ races I have done: a night-time circuit round a distinctive valleys town, with big enthusiastic crowds and fireworks beforehand. After a coffee in a tiny cafe, we watched the junior races and mum and dad got a great viewing spot near the start. The atmosphere builds, with the mystery runner lighting the torch, excellent fireworks, and a touch of tension in the air - the field for the elite race is obviously very strong. I felt pretty good off the back of the handicap race two days ago and a recent return to informal speedwork. The race takes three laps of the town centre circuit, which heads out to the Bailey's Arms at the far end of town, rounds a tight turn and then runs back to the main square with the Guto statue which is the race's epicentre. The crowd and atmosphere here was tremendous, with a loop round the main road and back out again. My pace stayed fairly steady and I felt controlled and comfortable throughout, more so than at the handicap (virtually identical times) so I wonder whether I should have pushed a little more. I would have been first V50 had I been five months older, and indeed first V40 had I been five years younger (!), but had to settle for 2nd V45 on the night. A great way to end the year.

No comments: