Saturday, January 04, 2020

North Wales XC championship

Race: North Wales XC Champs, Northop (10k)
Time/Position: 39.30 (17th from 54)
My worst ever position at the champs, and the first time I have failed to win anything in my age category. This was not entirely due to slowness, however, as the field seemed pretty strong. I can't remember ever racing the champs at Northop before, although I must have done the Rhug circuit five or six times. It was an excellent route, comparable to Rhug in the sense that it is pretty long for a cross-country, with four large looping laps of the college grounds - great views over the Dee estuary to the Wirral and Liverpool. Gary Norgrove and I had a grand old battle again, as we did at Aintree, level pegging until the last lap when I was able to pull away slightly. I didn't even count in the first six Buckley finishers, although I did for the Veterans: we narrowly won the team prize.

No comments: