Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Drum from Conwy

Peaks: Carnedd y Ddelw, Drum
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
Another stunning period of weather, and a slight easing of the Welsh lockdown, so I visited St Asaph and then Conwy. I'd like to have camped in the northern Carneddau, but stuck closer to the rules with a midsummer evening run instead. My vague plan was to run up Foel Fras, I realised quite quickly that I was tired, however, and the long haul up the lanes to Llangelynin old church felt hard (although enlivened considerably by an adder slithering across the road). After the church, I felt a bit better for some of my favourite paths and tracks through the little valley below Tal y Fan and across to Cae Coch. The sun was dropping but it was still very hot with no wind as I plodded up to Bwlch y Ddaefaen. A strong breeze caused a major drop in temperature as I crested Carnedd y Ddelw and it was almost chilly on Drum: I had to shelter in a grassy depression looking out over the Orme and Tal y Fan (1:40 to the summit of Drum from Hod). I descended the ridge to Pen y Castell before cutting down into the tussocky and untravelled valley to the north, and rehydrating at the Afon Tafolog (I'm not actually sure whether this valley is called Cwm Tafolog or not). From here, the terrain stays awkward until reaching the tiny road from Llanbedr y Cennin. Over the bridge, then down steeply into Rowen, before a tiring return along the minor road to Ty'n y Groes, and then the main road back to Conwy. About 30km/1000m.

No comments: