Sunday, June 14, 2020

Langdale Horseshoe from Elterwater

Peaks: Pike O'Blisco, Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, Pike O'Stickle
Area: Langdale, Lake District
Of all the classic Lakes 'horseshoe' races, Langdale is more or less my last remaining gap (having previously done Ennerdale, Wasdale, Borrowdale, Kentmere, Grisedale, Coledale and Anniversary Waltz). So under lockdown, it seemed an obvious choice given my border location. I decided to extend and alter the race route, though, to make it a little longer and more aesthetically pleasing. So I parked in Elterwater, a village I have always liked, and set off along the riverside path to Chapel Stile then climbing up to contour the slopes of Side Pike to finally gain the tiny road up from Wall End. This leads to the main path up Pike O'Blisco, a nice little peak at the end of this side of the valley and the obvious starting point. I'd left home very early, and it was still only 8am, but it was blisteringly hot initially, very sweaty work in direct sunlight. Later, however, high cloud rolled in and took the edge off the temperature. I enjoyed the Pike, superb views from the summit, and then had Crinkle Crags to look forward to (all this side of the valley was new to me, the only major peaks in the Lakes I hadn't done). The high cloud made the traverse a little more comfortable, although it stayed warm for the run past Red Tarn to pick up the path leading to Crinkle Crags: great views over the Langdale Pikes on one side, and Coniston Fells on the other. I ploughed up towards the little peaks of Crinkle Crags, I suppose the closest thing the Lakes have to the Glyders. It was all very enjoyable, twists and turns until the main summit at Cold Pike. Then, down to the Three Tarns and a steep haul to Bowfell, the day's highpoint and a fine mountain. As far as I can remember, I have only been up Bowfell once before - and I think that was midwinter's day in 1992, after doing the classic Bowfell Buttress rock climb in sub-zero conditions and verglassed rocks. It stayed with me, but I'd never been back. I had the summit to myself, it was still early morning in semi-lockdown, with views across to Scafell and the Pike. I pondered continuing to Esk Pike but eventually settled on a run to Ore Gap then across the corner to the path down to Angle Tarn. From here, I took the lengthy diversionary path towards Langstrath and the indirect climb to the Langdale Pikes, eventually emerging below Pike O'Stickle on the other side of the valley. This gives a nice scramble, and another place I haven't been for decades. Views straight down to the bottom of the valley. Flies sent me away to Loft Pike where there are superb views to Gimmer, for me one of the best crags in the Lakes (last visited two years ago, ticking classics with Vic). I dropped down to the stream below Harrison Stickle then pelted directly down to the Old Dungeon Ghyll. A long run-in down the valley road to Elterwater.

No comments: