Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Hebog-Nantlle

Peaks: Moel Hebog, Moel yr Ogof, Moel Lefn, Gyrn, Trum y Ddisgyl, Mynydd Drws y Coed, Y Garn
Area: Hebog/Nantlle, Eryri
Last time I did this route, in 2019, I concluded that the Paddy was probably a tad too hard for me. This is the shortest of the five legs, and isn't all that arduous, although the terrain is tricky. Today, the weather was so wonderful that I decided not to bother with Bryn Banog and went straight up Hebog from my parking spot in Beddgelert. It was early, and in contrast to yesterday the hills were completely empty. In fact, I didn't see anyone all day - but the weather was even better. I felt tired on the famously steep climb up Hebog - which, frustratingly, I have done way more quickly in the past (I've done the race three times). I was particularly slow for the section up Y Diffwys, a crumbling rock band. The reward, however, was stunning summit views: there was a soft band of mist to the west and south with Yr Eifl and the Moelwynion peeking above it. Closer at hand, some tendrils of mist were still draped over Nant Gwynant. Snowdon and and my onward route to Nantlle were all radiant, stunning clarity. After a wonderful few minutes enjoying the views, I ran down the steep slopes to gain the weird cleft that leads up Moel yr Ogof - memories of the Pedol Cwm Pennant which I ran twice (far quicker than this!). Moel Lefn is awkward to the summit, and I rested a while before the slatey descent towards Bwlch y Ddwy Elor. From here, I took the Paddy line up Gyrn, a short but horrible additional climb that nobody in their right mind would normally bother with (indeed I've never been up Gyrn before). Tenuous paths lead over this to finally gain the bwlch, after which the nasty climb up Trum y Ddisgyl is pretty relentless. I remember flying up this on the first Cwm Pennant race, feeling very good indeed. Quite a contrast today, slow and increasingly dehydrated as the heat built. The best section of the Nantlle Ridge comes next, however, and I perked up for the rocky ridge over Drws y Coed to Y Garn - always enjoyable but particularly so today with great views across to Mynydd Mawr and Snowdon. From Y Garn, an awkward descent down Cwm Marchnad leads to a stream and a very welcome drink. After this, and a snack, I felt revitalised for the run down fire tracks through the forest to Pont Cae Gors - a Paddy changeover point. Around 5 or 6k down twisting tracks with some additional climbing leads back to Beddgelert.

No comments: