Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Bochlwyd/Idwal horseshoe

Peaks: Tryfan, Glyder Fawr, Y Garn
Area: Glyderau, Eryri
A slight variation on an old favourite, done multiple times over many years. The weather was stunning, always my favourite time of year in the Welsh hills (and everywhere else) and lockdown was only partially released (to Welsh residents) so the crowds weren't too bad. I went for this grand old circuit, but planned to take in the Gribin rather than Bristly, as I've done that a few times recently. I scampered up Tryfan's north ridge in 47 minutes precisely, always enjoyable, then veered off the south ridge descent towards Bochlwyd. A drink from the stream, then over the outflow to pick up the path leading up Y Gribin. This stays very gentle until the top section and is another route I have done dozens of times over the decades. I took a little break on the Glyder plateau, reliving old days in Cwm Cneifion, tracing the lines of Manx Wall, Y Gully and Hidden Gully, all of which I retain vivid memories of! Stunning views from the top of Fawr across to Yr Wyddfa, perfect clarity and not many people around. It was warm and still - it doesn't get much better. Down the scree to Llyn y Cwn and then I upped the pace a bit for the climb up Y Garn (exactly 15 minutes). After a wonderful few minutes at the summit, marred slightly by a drone, I ran straight back to Ogwen cottage in 22 minutes, down Banana Ridge via Idwal. Around 2.5 hours for the circuit, after which I had a picnic lunch in Mynydd Llandygai overlooking the Carneddau as the weather got even better.

No comments: