Sunday, December 19, 2021

Pen direct

Peaks: Pen yr Ole Wen
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
My first outing post-Covid, so this was all rather tentative. The weather has been glorious across Snowdonia with a blocking high established and numerous cloud inversions (while I was ill and isolating!). No inversion today, but stupendous clarity and astonishing stillness (not a ripple on Llyn Ogwen) as I jogged alongside Ogwen before taking the always brutal direct route up Pen yr Ole Wen. I suspect I have only ever been up this a few times - during the 3000s a few years ago, and after youthful scrambles - as opposed to scores of ascents of the east ridge. Deliberately capped my heart rate but got to the summit in 47 minutes. Superb views: IoM, Wicklow Hills clearly visible, perfect clarity. Very relaxed jog/walk down the east ridge to finish, then a warm down round Capel Garmon.

No comments: