Saturday, January 28, 2023

Tarren Hendre

Race: Ras Tarren Hendre (10k/600m)
Time/Position: 1.03.05 (19th from 75)
For various reasons, I had never got round to this 'depths of winter' race before - possibly the only long-established north Wales fell race I have never done. It always used to clash with the XC champs in Rhug, but this year made a perfect day out to complete my return to proper racing, albeit compromised by an obvious lack of speed and fitness. Conditions were superb - no wind, nicely cool with a high cloud base - and it all made for a thoroughly enjoyable day out for our small group. I went fairly well at the climb, which goes up gentle fire tracks interspersed with two brutally steep direct climbs through conifer forest. Eventually, you emerge at the final steep climb to the top of Tarren Hendre. I was in 14th place, feeling reasonably OK after an ascent of just over half an hour. I descended badly, inevitable really given the length of my lay-off from proper racing. The long ridge over towards Tarren y Gesail take you round Mynydd Rhyd Galed, all runnable, and then little contouring tracks lead to the sharp turn north-westwards. From here, tricky terrain, very boggy in places, leads steeply to the old quarries in Nant Gwernol. The comes a long, fast and gradual descent down inclines and fire roads, normally the sort of place in which I would look to make up ground, but I found that hard to do today with limited road speed. I was passed by at least five runners on the descent from the summit.

No comments: