Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Sivri Tepe

Peaks: Sivri Tepe (1719m)
Area: Isparta/Lake District, Turkey
A classic 'signature peak' that dominates the lakeside town of Egirdir, where I was staying. Sivri Tepe translates as 'pointed spire', which is an apt description, albeit hugely exaggerated when approached from the other side (which is the only real route up). I arrived in Egirdir, the heart of the Turkish lake district yesterday afternoon after a really enjoyable eight hour journey from Goreme, very scenic after the big city of Konya. The lakes are all enormous, and there are some very big mountains in this area. Sivri Tepe is certainly not one of them, but it was the only realistic option without a car (and at this time of year). The wind throughout was remarkable - very strong crosswinds continually raking the narrow peninsula on which I was staying. Sadly, overnight the weather generally deteriorated and I had a very tight itinerary in the morning, with my next bus to Antalya leaving at midday. After breakfast at the top of Pension Fulya with stunning views over the Egirdir lake in all directions, I commenced battle with the crosswinds. I jogged up the road, flat at first, and then up towards the village of Akpinar. A continuous series of heavy showers barreled in from the south-west, some quite torrential. At times, they were of sleet and hail although there were also occasional easings. At Akpinar, the route veered north along the St Paul trail, a new long-distance path. This helped but the path was boggy and indistinct in places. I passed a couple of old shepherds (possibly Yoruks - this being something of a stronghold for them) sheltering under trees, and higher up branched off towards the peak itself - still impressive from this southerly angle. The remaining path was narrow and occasionally indistinct but became clearer for the final ascent up slabby limestone and scree. At a vague neck, the wind howled through: very strong, upward progress to the summit a real struggle particularly as a hailstorm blew in at the same time. However, I did get views from the summit down to Egirdir and the vast lake: memorable in this weather, my face raked with the hail. I didn't hang around, and scampered down: once beyond the vague neck/col the wind eased, as did the hail, and the rest of the descent down to the shepherds huts was easier although boggy, with annoying cloying mud, reminded me of the Wychavon Way ultra! It continued soggy, so I took a diversion to a gravel track. This led to Akinpar, after which a clap of thunder and a very black cloud sent me running back at 4 minute kilometre pace all the way back to Egirdir. Once back on the peninsula, the sun came out! I just had time for a shower and a borek/ayran lunch before getting the midday bus to Antalya.

No comments: