Sunday, March 19, 2023

Wigan half

Race: Wigan half marathon
Time/Position: 1.21.43 (18th from 583 [1st V50])
This was something of a 'range finder', my first half since running 78.02 at Vyrnwy in September. It was also highly opportunistic, just breaking the journey from home to pick up EE from York. As such, I was pleased to feel pretty good and I really enjoyed the varied, interesting course. I struggled with the pace initially, on flat roads out from the pleasantly Victorian Mesnes Park towards the industry around Marsh Green. After looping the DW stadium, I began to feel much better and really enjoyed the next long section alongside the Leeds and Liverpool canal past Wigan Pier. I knew a climb was coming up, but still, the haul up to Haigh Hall was much tougher than I'd expected: steep, long and hard. I kept it going fairly well, gaining a place or two. Then, after looping the hall, you get to enjoy the long descent back to the woodland park gates (all very pleasant, lovely woods) before a very fast finish back to Mesnes Park. Finished first V50 in what I felt to be a reasonable time given the nature of the course and my current lack of speedwork. Then, straight into the car to continue the drive to York!

No comments: