Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Eglwyseg Mountain

I have often heard of the 'Airman's Grave' on Ruabon Moor but have never specifically looked for it before. It's not easy to find, marooned between the urban fringe on the east and Eglwyseg west. In addition, it's visible from the air, not so much from the ground. I started from Llangollen, up the steep road south of Dinas Bran, to gain my favourite OD section which I followed below the crags all the way to World's End. I always love this, and have long considered it north east Wales's finest scenery. At World's End, I took the little path that cuts east through the little valley and emerges from woodland at the open moor. Continuing on the same line, I calculated it would bring me close to Airman's Grave, and this proved correct. It's right in the middle of the moor, quite featureless but an interesting spot. From here I jogged across the bog to Eglwyseg Mountain itself, marked by a small cairn, and then westwards to eventually pick up the Cylch route which I took above the escarpment all the way down to Panorama and then my car near the school.

No comments: