Monday, August 07, 2023

Great Rigg circuitously

Peaks: Stone Arthur, Great Rigg, Heron Pike
Area: Fairfield, Lake District
EE had agreed to accompany me on a Lakes micro-break, staying initially at the Langdale YHA (actually almost on the slopes of Loughrigg Fell, and possibly the only hostel in the Lakes I haven't previously visited). After a lovely day pottering around Grasmere yesterday, I woke early and jogged down Loughrigg Terrace with its superb view of Grasmere and Helvellyn. From here, I ran along the lakeside then road north through Town End to the Swan. This is where the path up Stone Arthur begins, a well-trodden and well-constructed route which gains height quickly. It's about a mile and 400m elevation to the 'summit' (actually just a distinctively rocky spur) and took 25 minutes. From here I took the broad ridge NE to the much higher Great Rigg, which I have done several times before as it is on the Fairfield Horseshoe. Light mist flirted with the summit, but ahead the enticing prospect of the ridge to Nab Scar. I have done this several times and it is great, even better contouring the subpeak and then cutting back down to Alcock Tarn, which is what I did today, making it up as I went along. Little paths led down to beautiful Bracken Fell above Grasmere, from where I eventually rejoined my outward route. This involved an extra homeward climb back up to Loughrigg Terrace and the hostel, just over 2 hours after leaving. EE was still asleep! After breakfast in Ambleside, we strolled around Tarn Hows.

No comments: