Monday, April 23, 2007

London marathon, Eglwyseg climbing, Border League races, Brecon Beacons hill runs

Another very busy week at the end of easter, culminating in the London marathon yesterday. Supposedly 23c at midday, certainly felt very demanding and I suffered badly in the last 10k: although I think lack of long runs in training was as much to blame as the heat. So my 3:39 was disappointing - I'd hoped to get under 3:20 - but not entirely unexpected. Still, a tremendous day for my seventh marathon and second London, six years after my first. Support was superb throughout, really memorable. The week before had been a bit busy. I'd gone climbing at World's End on Thursday 19 April, shunting a few routes I haven't done before including Flakeless Groove (HS), White Crack, Scarface Groove and a few others. Nice to be back at a favourite venue, probably 16 years or so since my prime! Then went for a run along Offa's Dyke to near the summit of Cyrn y Brain. On Sunday 15 April I had a disappointing performance in the 6th and penultimate border league race of the season, on roads I knew well (from Northop College, so the hilly course should have suited me). Finished 66th in 26:59 (4.3m), my second worst of the season, although I am now 14th senior man in the league. Buckley have an unassailable lead at the top of division one. A work trip to Swansea at the weekend saw me off on an opportunistic 2.5 hour run around the Carmarthen Fan peaks on the way down (13 April). Started from Glyntawe after a 3 hr drive from home. Ran up Fan Hir, then over Fan Brycheiniog and Bannau Sir Gaer before the long run south over trackless moorland back to the sinkholes and then the car. Changed into shirt and drove to the conference! Next day, drove back from Swansea via Brynamman in hot sunshine and enjoyed a quick opportunistic walk/jog up the isolated hill of Garreg Lwyd. Hot but rather hazy unfortunately.

No comments: